[spsp-members] Postdoc in Ethics and Epistemology of AI and Data

Juan Manuel Duran J.M.Duran at tudelft.nl
Thu Apr 6 11:51:41 UTC 2023

Job description

SoBigData++<https://plusplus.sobigdata.eu/> is a distributed, multi-disciplinary research infrastructure for big social data analytics, coupled with the consolidation of a cross-disciplinary European research community, aimed at using social mining and big data to understand the complexity of our contemporary, globally-interconnected society. SoBigData++ develops applications that operationalize ethics with value-sensitive design, incorporating values and norms for privacy protection, fairness, transparency, and pluralism. SoBigData++ offers 91 unique datasets, 120 pilot projects developed with diverse companies, over 90 social mining methods, and apps, and more than 7,000 active users. In 2022, SoBigData entered the ESFRI Roadmap as SoBigData-RI (http://sobigdata.eu/index) with the purpose of offering their services (infrastructure, data, expertise) to state members. In the Netherlands, we intend to create the Dutch Research Node (DRN) that will bridge organizations, institutions, and government agencies with the services provided by SoBigData-RI. This postdoc project is a unique opportunity to assist in the creation of the DRN, engage with diverse stakeholders (from university academics to government officials), and take part in science and philosophy communication. This postdoc also includes the opportunity to advance in an academic position via teaching duties, research, and organization of events, as well as acquire experience in ethics consulting. The successful candidate will be affiliated with TU Delft and be part of a vibrant research community that includes the Delft Digital Ethics Centre, Delft Design for Values, and Open Data Infrastructure for Social Science and Economic Innovations (ODISSEI).
The direct tasks of this PostDoc position include:
(1) To establish a DRN within the SoBigData node. To this end, the candidate will have to know the project and its goals, be able to communicate it clearly to all the current members of the DRN and be able to contact and bring new members into the network. An excellent level of English and communication skills is required. Traveling within the Netherlands (and possibly Europe) will be required.
(2) To serve as a consultant on diverse issues related to ethics, epistemology, and societal implications of AI, Data, and similar technologies.
(3) Teaching duties at TU Delft.
(4) Conduct philosophical research on specific topics.
This position is jointly hosted by TU Delft, SoBigData-ESFRI Consortium & ODISSEI. At TU Delft you will be part of the Ethics/Philosophy of Technology Section, Department of Value, Technology and Innovation. At ODISSEI you will collaborate with Tom Emery.
The starting date is as soon as possible.

Requirements

  *   Ph.D. degree in Philosophy (Ethics of Technology, Ethics of AI and Data, Philosophy of Science and AI or Epistemology of AI)
  *   Experience in organizing and hosting events, networking, and interacting with different stakeholders
  *   Domain knowledge in the field of data science is an asset;
  *   Solid problem-solving skills and capacity to take the initiative;
  *   Ability to work well in a team;
  *   Proven written and verbal English communication skills (do mention your key publications in the motivation letter)

Conditions of employment

Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities. The TU Delft offers a customisable compensation package, a discount on health insurance and sport memberships, and a monthly work costs contribution. Flexible work schedules can be arranged.
For international applicants we offer the Coming to Delft Service and Partner Career Advice<https://www.tudelft.nl/over-tu-delft/werken-bij-tu-delft/nederland-tu-delft/support-for-international-employees> to assist you with your relocation. An International Children's Centre offers childcare and there is an international primary school.

TU Delft (Delft University of Technology)

Delft University of Technology is built on strong foundations. As creators of the world-famous Dutch waterworks and pioneers in biotech, TU Delft is a top international university combining science, engineering and design. It delivers world class results in education, research and innovation to address challenges in the areas of energy, climate, mobility, health and digital society. For generations, our engineers have proven to be entrepreneurial problem-solvers, both in business and in a social context.
At TU Delft we embrace diversity as one of our core values<https://www.tudelft.nl/en/about-tu-delft/strategy/integrity-policy/tu-delft-code-of-conduct/> and we actively engage<https://www.tudelft.nl/en/about-tu-delft/strategy/diversity-inclusion> to be a university where you feel at home and can flourish. We value different perspectives and qualities. We believe this makes our work more innovative, the TU Delft community more vibrant and the world more just. Together, we imagine, invent and create solutions using technology to have a positive impact on a global scale. That is why we invite you to apply. Your application will receive fair consideration.
 Challenge. Change. Impact!

Faculty Technology, Policy and Management

The Faculty of TPM provides an important contribution to solving complex technical-social issues, such as energy transition, mobility, digitalisation, water management and (cyber) security. TPM does this with its excellent education and research at the intersection of technology, society and policy. We combine insights from both engineering and social sciences as well as the humanities. TPM develops robust models and designs, is internationally oriented and has an extensive network of knowledge institutions, companies, social organisations and governments.
Click here<https://www.tudelft.nl/en/tpm/> to go to the website of the Faculty of Technology, Policy and Management.

Additional information

For more information about this vacancy, please contact Juan M. Durán, email: j.m.duran at tudelft.nl<https://mailto:j.m.duran@tudelft.nl>

Application procedure

Are you interested in this vacancy? Please apply before  14 May 2023 via the application button and upload your motivation and CV including publications.

  *   You can apply online. We will not process applications sent by email and/or post.
  *   A pre-employment screening can be part of the selection procedure.
  *   Please do not contact us for unsolicited services.
  *   Apply here: https://www.tudelft.nl/over-tu-delft/werken-bij-tu-delft/vacatures/apply/?jobId=QEZFK026203F3VBQBLO6G68W9-11647&langCode=en_GB
  *   More information: https://www.tudelft.nl/over-tu-delft/werken-bij-tu-delft/vacatures/details?jobId=11647&jobTitle=Postdoc%20in%20Ethics%20and%20epistemology%20of%20AI%20and%20Data