[spsp-members] Padova Summer School "Animal Technologies"

Alfred Nordmann nordmann at phil.tu-darmstadt.de
Sat Apr 8 23:54:32 UTC 2023

Summer School „Animal Technologies“
October 9th to 13th, 2023 at the University of Padova

The Fourth Padova Summer School on Philosophy and Cultural Studies of
Technology invites advanced MA students, PhD candidates, and postdocs
from philosophy, STS, art history, cultural and animal studies, and
related fields.  If you are interested to contribute to our discussions,
please describe your motivation and interest (no more than 3 pages) and
send it along with a CV by June 5 to Andrea Gentili -
andrea.gentili.2 at phd.unipd.it – he will answer any queries as well.

One of the first chapters in the history of technology concerns the
domestication and breeding of animals, their technological deployment in
agriculture, transport, mining, sacrificial rituals. At the same time,
for hunters and gatherers, miners and urban dwellers alike, animals
structured their technical practices and daily routines. Still today
animal nature is harnessed, controlled, and transformed through
technology, still today many human practices are shaped by our
interactions with animals, and especially today we become aware of our
co-dependency.

Genome editing offers strategies to enhance animal performance,
biorobotics exploits animal behavior, One Health research fuses human
and veterinary medicine with the environmental sciences. Technological
devices have taken the place of pets, animals for use are monitored,
fed, even stimulated and entertained by phone apps and virtual reality
games.

A wide range of phenomena gives rise to several cross-cutting questions:

o    Kinship, moral community and their technological transformation -
conceived as cooperation, cohabitation, coproduction, or codependency.
o    Technology games, human and animal forms of life - conceived as
interface, intersection, in-formation, inclusion, or integration.
o    Analog and digital intelligence - limits and possibilities of
communication, mutual recognition, perception, processing and sharing of
information.
o    Anthropocene, Chthulucene, Technocene - eco-historical positioning
for planetary survival.

The summer school faculty includes Natascha Adamowsky, Daria Bylieva,
Arianna Ferrari, Fabio Grigenti, Natalia Nikiforova, Alfred Nordmann,
Telmo Pievani, Oliver Schlaudt, Astrid Schwarz, and Marco Tamborini. The
Summer School is free of charge, accommodations will be provided,
participants are expected to cover the cost for travel. For further
information see
https://www.philosophie.tu-darmstadt.de/media/institut_fuer_philosophie/mitarbeiter_innen/nordmann_1/Animal_Technologies.pdf
- Deadline for applications is June 5, 2023.