[spsp-members] Philosophy & Neuroscience @ The Gulf VI Second Call for Abstracts

Bickle, John jbickle at philrel.msstate.edu
Tue May 23 21:31:08 UTC 2023

Please scroll down to the bottom of this message for an important announcement about funding for graduate students to attend this year's meeting!

[colorbrain.jpg]SECOND CALL FOR ABSTRACTS!

Philosophy & Neuroscience

@ The Gulf VI

Sixth Annual Meeting of the

Deep South Philosophy & Neuroscience Workgroup

deepsouthphilneuro.com

DATES: Thursday, September 28 through Saturday, September 30, 2023

LOCATION: Beachfront Hilton Pensacola Beach Hotel, Pensacola Beach, Florida

For the first time since 2019, we will meet at the same hotel & time as the Alabama Philosophical Society.

REGISTRATION: There is no registration fee.

CO-ORGANIZERS & CONTACTS: John Bickle (Mississippi State U. and U. Mississippi Medical Center) jbickle at philrel.msstate.edu; Nedah Nemati (Presidential Scholar in Society and Neuroscience, Columbia U.) nnn2120 at columbia.edu

ABSTRACT (maximum 750 words) DUE DATE: July 1, 2023; see below

THEMES: 1) Evolution of the brain; how evolutionary theories inform ideas about cognition and behavior. 2) Varia: philosophy of neuroscience or neurophilosophy, broadly construed.

In addition to welcoming talks on all topics in philosophy of neuroscience or neurophilosophy, at this year's meeting we also aim to bring history and philosophy of biology, philosophy of mind, and neuroscience into closer conversation. To this end, we also invite abstract submissions for talks on the topic of brain evolution. Topics of interest include, but are not limited to: histories of brain evolution and cross-species comparisons; using evolutionary theory to develop tools to be used to study the brain (e.g. neuro-computational modeling); functional and structural homology of the brain; evolutionary theory as explanation in behavioral and cognitive neuroscience.

This workshop is open to historians, philosophers, and scientists working at all levels of investigation, and will continue our tradition of bringing junior and senior scholars together in conversation.

We will feature our usual events, including submitted talks, invited speakers, invited neuroscientist keynote lectures, and short "blitz" talks.

Philosophy & Neuroscience @ The Gulf VI Invited Keynote Speakers

INVITED KEYNOTE SPEAKERS

Neuroscience

James Bower, retired, formerly CalTech, and UT Health Sciences Center, San Antonio

Barbara Finlay, Psychology, Cornell Univ.

Paul Frankland, Neuroscience & Mental Health, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto

A. David Redish, Neuroscience, Univ. of Minnesota Medical School

Georg Striedter, Neurobiology and Behavior, UC Irvine

Philosophy

Kenneth Aizawa, Philosophy, Rutgers Univ., Newark

Carl Gillett, Philosophy, Northern Illinois Univ.

Alan Love, Center for Philosophy of Science, Univ. of Minnesota

Thomas Polger, Philosophy, Univ. of Cincinnati

Abstracts (up to 750 words including references)[Group]
[ATTENTION GRADUATE STUDENTS!  Thanks to the Presidential Scholars in Society and Neuroscience Program at Columbia University, this year (2023) we have travel reimbursement available for up to five graduate students who need funding. When submitting your abstract, please indicate on your abstract if you would like to be considered. Details will be provided to you after abstract submission.   - Description: ATTENTION GRADUATE STUDENTS!...]

 are due by July 1, 2023. Please submit your abstract as a Word doc, docx, or pdf to John Bickle at jbickle at philrel.msstate.edu.

Participants will be responsible for their own travel costs (except graduate students receiving reimbursement, see above); the Hilton Pensacola Beach will offer special conference rates to all participants for Wednesday night, September 27 through Sunday, October 1. There continues to be no workshop registration fee.

This year's meeting is supported by the Department of Philosophy and Religion at Mississippi State University. Funding from Mississippi State pays for meeting space, breakfast snacks, and coffee and refreshment breaks each day.[Photo: Isabella Sarto-Jackson - Description: Photo: Isabella Sarto-Jackson]